Rsync backups over the internet

Srinivas Kotapally ksrinivas at bisil.com
Sun May 7 01:50:58 GMT 2006

All

I am use rsync to backup a large filesystem over the internet.  I do an
incremental backup of the 2 file systems once a day to keep an offsite
backup.  However, this backup takes about 60 minutes.  Are there some tweaks
I can do to speed up the backup?  Here is the command I run via cron every
day:

rsync --exclude-from=/home/backups/rsync/attachments-exclude.lst --delete
-ave ssh bisil at mysourceserver:/var/attachments/secure/
/backups/var/varattachments

This size of the source directory is about 7 GB. even though I back up every
day, it takes about 60 minutes.  There are about 10-50 MB of files that are
added into the source every day.

Can you advise?

Regards

Srinivas