How to know the remote version of rsync daemon?

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sat May 6 03:24:22 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 12:14 +0200, Pirla wrote:
> it's possible to submit a feature request?
> I think that with so many options that differ from version to version is
> important to know what version is remotely used.

Making version 2.6.9 of rsync announce its version when called remotely
would do no good: there are old installations of rsync that won't
announce their versions no matter what is added to rsync at this point.
However, someone could make a script that passes various combinations of
options to the remote rsync and deduces the remote rsync's version based
on how it responds, automating the process Wayne was explaining.

I was curious what an rsync daemon would do if passed a --version option
through the daemon protocol, so I talked to a 2.6.8 daemon with netcat.
The daemon did write the version message--to its own log file!  --help
also writes to the log file.

Matt