"file has vanished" Chinese characters...

Tony at ServaCorp.com Tony at ServaCorp.com
Fri May 5 02:46:25 GMT 2006

This is entirely guesswork, but maybe, just maybe ....
>From something unixy, do an smb mount of the Windows share
(Cygwin does the incredible, but it's still not unix)
There is probably some kind of option so that you see the filenames
and do the rsync from the unixy side.
I think I ran into it doing something with Knoppix and mounting
an NTFS partition with chinese characters in it.
I'm guessing that there is a similar option somewhere on the Samba side.
something like -o unicode for smbmount might help.
Looks like there's iocharset= and codepage=

Good Luck.