request: add TCP buffer options to rsync CLI?

Lawrence D. Dunn ldunn at cisco.com
Thu May 4 13:58:18 GMT 2006

Stu,
   I ran into similar circumstances when helping some folks transfer
   data from FermiLab(Chicago) to Renater(France).
   What options are you using for rsync?

   The buffer tuning you refer to is actually tuning two different things.

   The rsync TCP-buffer options allow you to set TCP buffers.
   You've always been able to do this on the daemon-side (via a config file),
   and the patch added (via this email's subject line) also allows you
   to set buffers on the client. (I have not tested this, but Wayne
described it as
   straightforward, so I assume it's correct.  When I worked on it,
   I used web100-instrumented Linux boxes that let me tweak the buffers
   during the transfer).

   The ssh fix (Chris Rapier/PSC) addresses an ssh issue, where ssh implements
   a windowing-protocol **on top of TCP**.  So even if you get the TCP buffers
   "right", rsync performance will be dismal **if** you use "-e ssh" or similar
   to encrypt the ssh transfer.

   So (and maybe you've already done this), when using "-e ssh", you need to:
   1. use an ssh-patched system
   2. set TCP buffers on sender (at least Tx buff on that side)
   3. set TCP buffers on receiver (at least Rx buff on that side).

   When I did that, I got comparable performance from rsync and iperf;
   the transfer seemed to be disk i/o limited (on the receiver side, which
   had cheaper disk i/o  - about 20-30MBytes/sec when there's no loss,
   so  congestion control wasn't kicking in).

   Also, if you're using  Linux, kernels from  about 2.6.8+ now
includes both sender-side
   and receiver-side TCP buffer autotuning, so as long as you have large enough
   max-TCP-buffers, the systems will self-adapt their tcp-buffers,
   taking care of "2" and "3" above.  The patch that Wayne did is really
   to help folks with systems that don't do autotuning (pretty much
   everything except <1yr-old Linux kernels).

   Feel free to drop me a note (unicast?) if you'd like to discuss further.
   I **think** you should be able to get a better rate w/o further
changes to rsync.
   But I could be wrong... ;-)

Larry