request: add TCP buffer options to rsync CLI?

Stuart Midgley stuart.midgley at ivec.org
Thu May 4 06:50:21 GMT 2006

We see absolutely dismal performance from Canberra to Perth via
Aarnet or Grangenet (gig connections across the country).  With
standard rsync on a tuned tcp stack, we see about 700k/s.  I started
playing with the --sockopts and have increased the performance to
1.4M/s which is better, but still way off the pace.

There are similar patches for ssh at

	http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

which work wonders (up to 25M/s where previously we were at 700k/s).

I would love to see similar performance gains from rsync as I've see
from the tuned ssh...

Stu.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley