Permissions causing full backups?

Link McGinnis link2 at cschristian.com
Tue May 2 20:58:19 GMT 2006

> One colon means to run rsync over SSH, which means the destination path
> is relative to your home directory and the daemon is ignored completely.
> I thought there was some trouble with using SSH on Cygwin, so I
> recommended using an rsync daemon, but maybe the problem has been fixed.

Before we began our discussion, I was using rsync and rsnapshot within
cygwin over SSH.  The connection was seamless, so I guess it has been fixed.
Does the rsync daemon still need to be in this equation?

> I'm not sure why the connection is timing out as opposed to being
> refused.  Maybe there's a firewall that times out connections on all
> ports except the ones it knows about, such as SSH.

I opened the port 873 in the firewall and now I DO get a "Connection
refused".  You seemed to understand this situation.  What do I need to fix
now?

> If this is the case,
> you can forward the daemon's port to the Windows machine with SSH (the
> fourth method on http://rsync.samba.org/firewall.html ) or invoke a
> single-use daemon over SSH (see the rsync man page).
>
> You could even use plain rsync over SSH, but then you'd have to find a
> way to invoke rsnapshot after a successful transfer other than a
> daemon's post-xfer exec.  I can think of two possibilities.  One: Put a
> script "rsync-and-kick-rsnapshot" on the server that says:
> 	rsync "$@" && ./kick-rsnapshot
> and tell the client rsync to invoke it with:
> 	--rsync-path="./rsync-and-kick-rsnapshot"
> Two: add a line to the end of your backup script:
> 	ssh $user@$bkup_ip rsnapshot <...>
>
> If all the Windows users who will be making backups already have
> corresponding accounts on the Linux server, it might make more sense to
> use plain rsync over SSH or single-use daemons over SSH with daemon
> authentication disabled than to set up a collection of rsync users
> paralleling the system ones for the global daemon with authentication.

The users all will have directories under /samba/bkups.  Now, I've got
choices and I'm not good with them!  Which one do you think I should try?
Since I have the SSH password-less connection thing working ok, should I
pursue that?  That would give me the ability to make this work (possibly)
from remote locations (backup my home pc to work) if I ever choose to go
that far.  What do you think?

> > 2nd question:  How can I know that my rsync is communicating with the
> > daemon on the samba server?  The daemon is supposed to be listening on
> > port 3141 but I haven't told the rsync to "push" to that port. Right?

> You could manually connect to the daemon from the Windows machine using
> netcat, if you have it: nc $bkup_ip 3141 .  You should see a message
> resembling @RSYNC: 29 .  At this point, a client rsync would respond
> with a similar message and the transfer would start, but you can just
> press Ctrl-C to drop the connection.
>
> To specify the port to rsync, either use --port=3141, or use the
> rsync:// format for the destination path so you can include the port:
> rsync://$user@$bkup_ip:3141/bkups/ .

I don't have netcat on cygwin.  So, I just added the "--port=3141" to the
rsync command.  It asked for a password but failed with "@ERROR: auth failed
on module bkups" when I provided it (and it does match what is in my
bkups.secrets file.

Thanks,

Link