error rsync'ing links of the form ../xxx

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue May 2 03:16:11 GMT 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 01:48:28PM -0400, Gary Aviv wrote:
> However, at the destination the .. is missing. for example
> the link "../python/compile_plan.py" becomes "python/compile_plan.py"
> at the destination.

Is your daemon running without chroot?  I just did a test, and rsync's
symlink sanitizing is getting rid of the leading "../", even when the
destination would not be outside the top directory of the module.  This
erroneous behavior has been going on as far back as I checked (which was
2.5.7), so it would appear that most people have "use chroot = yes"
enabled in their daemons.  I'll check into fixing this.

Thanks for the report,