Help -- rsync Causing High Load Averages

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Thu Mar 30 22:25:58 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:58 -0800, Plugger wrote:
> We have a server with about 400GB of data that we are trying to backup
> with rsync. [...] When it runs,
> however, the load averages on the content1 server continue to grow to
> the 100s, bringing the server to a practical standstill.

If your individual files are larger than a gigabyte or so, Shachar
Shemesh's dynamic hash patch may improve performance significantly.  I
recommend you try an rsync with that patch.  To build one, extract the
rsync source package, run "patch -p1 <patches/dynamic_hash.diff",
configure, and make.

--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net