Rsync / Cygwin : Cannot Allocate Memory

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Mar 24 16:12:09 GMT 2006

Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 08:20:18AM -0600, Rick Romero wrote:
>
>> rsync: fork failed in do_recv: Cannot allocate memory (12)
>>

> This error is happening on the receiving side, and you seem to have only
> mentioned the OS and memory for the sending system (I assume -- you
> didn't explicitly say).  Is the receiving system also running cygwin?
> What is its version rsync?
>
> ..wayne..

Ahhh  The receiving side is a fresh install of Debian, kernel 2.6.8-2
with a whopping 256MB of Ram.
I have 2Mb 'free', no swap (What the heck did I do there?  Watch my
confidence start droping drastically :P  ) and 5 rsync processes eating
about 35Mb each..

The receiving system is running rsync 2.6.4 protocol v29.

Ok, so I'll throw another 256Mb in there asap - I still don't know why
just changing the sending side's version of rsync would cause the
receiving side to run out of memory..

Thanks

Rick