Rsync, solaris 8, and live file systems

Buddy Ellis bguitardude at msn.com
Wed Mar 15 22:10:56 GMT 2006

I have been using rsync 2.6.6, to do an across the network sync on a quiet
system in a Solaris 8 environment. Rsync is compiled from src on the
sunfreeware gcc compiler, and has worked excellently in this capacity.   We
are now wanting to attempt to do a similar thing more often in a 'live'
environment (doing hourly snapshots), and in testing to see how locked files
were being handled I'm running into an issue both locally and over ssh.

My test case:

If I start dumping data to a file, say 'cat reallybigfile > newfilename' and
then attempt to rsync that file well before the cat is done using the
following:

from a remote system:
rsync -av -e ssh --numeric-ids root at somehost:/srcdir /destdir

or locally

rsync -av --numeric-ids /srcdir /destdir

rsync will transfer a 'partial' file (which was probably the 'whole' file at
the second that rsync examined the file) and transfer that portion of the
file and exit as if all is kosher.

Is it not possible to use rsync to copy files from an live/in-use
filesystem?

Any suggestions on other methods/means/products of how to do something like
this if it is not possible with rsync?

Thanks in advance.

-b