rsync a raw device

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:42:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:22:32AM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 17:42:18 -0500, Dan Pritts <danno at internet2.edu> wrote:
> > I'd like to mirror this data store to a remote location for DR purposes.
> > ideally the target would be a raw device as well, but a loopback mount
> > would probably solve my problem if that's not possible.
>
> # cat /dev/sda | ssh root at backupbox "cat > /dev/sda"
>
> Of course, change the device name as needed on both sides...

that would work fine for the first time, but i would like to use rsync
for further transfers to avoid transferring the entire 250GB device
every time.

again, using rsync on the actual contents of the filesystem is not
an option.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile