Error in running rsync through cron

Srinivas Kotapally ksrinivas at bisil.com
Tue Mar 14 14:24:58 GMT 2006

Hi all

I am having trouble running an rsync script using cron.  When I run these
commands from the command line, they run fine.  I have upgraded the rsync
version to the latest one (2.6.7) on both the source and backup machines,
but am still getting these errors.  Can you please advise?

Here is the script:
#!/bin/bash
rsync --blocking-io
--exclude-from=/home/backups/rsync/attachments-exclude.lst --delete -ave ssh
myuser at source_server:/var/attachments/
/backups/var/varattachments/var/attachments/ | mail -s "`hostname`: rsync of
/var/attachments/ from source_server done for `date '+ %m/%d/%Y'`" backups

Here is the cron message that is sent out...

Read from remote host source_host: Connection reset by peer

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1879176 bytes received so far)
[receiver]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes: phase "unknown"
[generator]: Broken pipe (32)

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(909)

These errors are not consistent... I mean on one day... it gets

Thanks

Srinivas

============================
Srinivas Kotapally, Analyst

BISIL N. A. Inc.
111 Presidential Boulevard Suite 246
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004

Phone: +1 610 747 0341
Fax: +1 610 747 0343
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. It is intended only for the use
of the person(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Thank you. BISIL NA Inc.
Visit us at www.bisil.com or www.enjbiz.com