rsync a raw device

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Mon Mar 13 22:42:18 GMT 2006

Hi all -

is there some magic flag i'm missing that will allow me to rsync
a raw device?  Not the dev entry, but the device itself?

I have a filesystem (backuppc data store) that does not respond well
to directory traversal due to an extremely high number of hard links
(which generate lots of disk seeks), and probably would not work well with
rsync anyway due to a large number of actual files in the first place.

I'd like to mirror this data store to a remote location for DR purposes.
ideally the target would be a raw device as well, but a loopback mount
would probably solve my problem if that's not possible.

Obviously, the filesystems would need to be unmounted while doing the sync.

thanks

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile