Default user when name not defined.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Mar 13 18:10:14 GMT 2006

[quoted lines by Wayne Davison on 2006/03/13 at 10:05 -0800]

>An ID offset is predictable: you simply specify an offset that elevates
>the ID numbers to a value above what you use on your systems for real
>users.  The only potential problem I can see is if you might have
>unexpected unreal IDs in a backup transfer -- i.e. if you did a backup
>operation to a system that is going to do a backup operation.  To combat
>that, the option could be changed to something like --id-offset=+5000
>when backing up, and --id-offset=-5000 when restoring, and that would
>prevent a backup copy from ever turning a >5000 ID into one <5000
>unexpectedly.  Perhaps this what you meant?

No. I'm talking about replicating a set of files on a system which is
controlled by others and whereon I can't set policy. Simply relocating a block
of userids would simply relocate the wrong access grants from one set of users
to another set of users.