no true incrementals with rsync?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 27 00:12:57 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:15:38AM -0700, tim594 wrote:
> With traditional backup systems, you keep a base (full backup, let's
> say every 30 days), then build incrementals on top of that, eg. (what
> has changed since the base).

That's what the --compare-dest=FULL_DIR option does.  See also the
--link-dest=YESTERDAY option, which allows you to make each day's backup
look like a full backup, but only take up the space of an incremental
(due to the hard-links created between unchanged files).

> With rsync 2.6.6, when i use --delete or --del with the --backup
> command, the files it deletes are not backed up.

They certainly should be (and they are in all the testing I've done).