Rsync fails to rename on Windoze2003

Corey Wirun - Lists junkmail001 at wirun.homelinux.net
Sun Jun 25 04:05:15 GMT 2006

Some further information:

I went back to 2.6.6 of rsync on the client and server and at least the entire sync completes.  I still get the 'Permission Denied' problem on the rename though.   I had a look at the logs and it appears the rename error is _always_ on a file name with a '.' as the starting character.  e.g.

rsync: rename "MEDIA_2006_LATEST/cdrom/riched32/.RICHED~1.cab.lEKJmo" (in MEDIA_2006) -> "cdrom/riched32/RICHED~1.cab": Permission denied (13)
total: matches=278531  tag_hits=1689129  false_alarms=123 data=79645872

sent 80988322 bytes  received 2116535 bytes  72233.69 bytes/sec
total size is 1470681718  speedup is 17.70
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/main.c(791)

My source tree has no files with a '.' at the beginning.  There was a file 'RICHED~1.cab' in the source - don't know why rsync thinks there should be a '.' in front of it on the destination.

So it appears that file permissions to not have a bearing on the problem, but something in rsync is looking for files with a '.' at the beginning.  But why does this only occur at random, not for every file?  Note the 'false alarms' above - does that mean anything?

Does anyone have any further notion why I get these rename errors?

Thanks in Advance!
Corey.