Rsync memory usage seems a lot higher than 100bytes/file

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jun 15 17:32:28 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:50:52AM -0400, Surer Dink wrote:
> Is this because I am using -H and --delete?  What is the per-file
> overhead when both of these options are used?

It depends on what version of rsync you're using.  Older versions would
allocate an additional file list for --delete, and another for -H, so
memory use is much more efficient in a modern version.  Also, if your OS
doesn't use copy-on-write memory when the receiver forks the generator,
you'll see a doubling of the memory requirements on the receiving side.