Rsyncing a very large directory tree (over 50,000 files)

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Thu Jun 15 00:17:49 GMT 2006

Multiple points just makes it more complicated - trust me on that one. It
does consume some RAM (not massive amounts) though doing everything at once.
Budget 100 bytes per file. I see approx 70-80 megabytes for 1 million files.
I do do two separate syncs so more important data is done first.

I have two syncs nightly over 100Mb LAN. They don't run at the same time.

Both from one Dual Xeon 3.2GHz 4GB RAM to a Dual P3 1GHz 2GB RAM (both
Win2k3)
First sync is from hardware RAID5 with 10k SCSI disks to a RAID0 striped
array (2 disks)
960k of files takes ~8000 secs or more than 2 hours to build the file list.

Second is from hardware RAID1 with 15k SCSI disks to the same RAID0 array
400k of files takes ~900 seconds or 15 minutes to build the file list.

So 50k of files in 15 minutes isn't that flash.

It would also appear my RAID 5 is not very fast (it's the same card as the
RAID1). Not sure why that is. When the syncs run, it's 99% idle.

CH