rsync --delete problem

Smemoe, Richard L. smemoe at missouri.edu
Mon Jun 5 13:19:24 GMT 2006

Wayne,

Thanks for your reply.  I upgraded to 2.6.8 and switched to
--delete-during.  But I still have the same problem as I did with
--delete.  I'll try to explain the behavior I'm seeing a little better.
The directory I'm trying to rsync from has ~3.5 million files with the
upper level directory having about 2000 directories.  I'm running 'cd
/backup/directory', then 'rsync -a --delete-during
/backup/directory/directorytocopy .' on every directory in this top
level directory.  If I leave off the --delete-during (or --delete),
everything works fine (except files removed from the original filesystem
aren't deleted), but if I use the --delete-during option, I only end up
with a small fraction of the original filesystem in my backup.  It looks
like it's only copying the changes to the original filesystem since the
last rsync.  I'm not 100% sure that this is what's happening though.
The original filesystem has directories starting with a* to z*, but the
resultant backup filesystem only has directories from m* to z*, so maybe
it is deleting directories from earlier in the filesystem...I'm not
sure.  I have tried changing options in my backup script to get
different behavior, but roughly the same thing happens every night when
I run the script.  How would you recommend running the rsync copy?

Also, after upgrading to 2.6.8, I tried copying the whole filesystem at
once with 'cd /backup/directory; rsync -a --delete-during
/production/filesystem/ .', but this gave me nothing in my backup
filesystem.

Thanks,

Richard