Why does rsync -an show files that are the same?

Larry Alkoff larryalk at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 4 02:05:09 GMT 2006

When doing a dry-run with the -n option, man rsync says it will "show
what would have happened".  I am using rsync -an.

Does this mean that rsync will _only_ show files that would have been
transferred and not show files that are the same?

In testing this with two subdirectories with man files and sub-sub
directories, rsync _seems_ to be showing all files instead of only the
few that have recently changed.  The command I used was
rsync -uaHvn    --modify-window=4000  $1*  $2

For example, I did ls-l on the very first item in both directories and
it was identical, yet appeared in the rsync output.

This is very confusing as I only want to see the few files that _would_
be transferred.  Am I doing something dumb?

Larry
--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux