rsync --delete problem

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jun 1 16:36:42 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:31:49AM -0500, Smemoe, Richard L. wrote:
> When I added the -delete option, my backup started taking about two
> days to finish.

You'd be better off using --del (--delete-during) than --delete, as
it doesn't require a separate scan through the destination hierarchy.
Also, older versions of rsync created an additional in-memory
representation of the entire destination file tree to do the delete,
so it is possible that such an older version caused rsync to start
swapping, which could easily slow it down by an order of magnitude.
So, make sure you're using a modern version (at least 2.6.4).

As for any incorrect behavior of --delete, you'll need to be more
explicit in what you think it is doing wrong.