Incremental backups

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jun 1 16:22:22 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:43:01PM +0200, Esteban Dugueperoux wrote:
> As I want back up on DAT tapes I would like to have a full backup and
> after some incremental backup with differences (modified or added files)
> from latest backup (full or incremental backup) and not backup of olds
> modified files.

See the --compare-dest option.  For instance:

rsync -av --del /src/ /dest/full/
rsync -av --compare-dest=/dest/full /src/ /dest/incr1/
rsync -av --compare-dest=/dest/full --compare-dest=/dest/incr1 \
          /src/ /dest/incr2/

This usage results in only the changed files being placed into the
newly-created /dest/incr* dirs.  (I.e. you may re-use the "full" dir
for the next full backup, but you need to start each incr* dir fresh.)