Connection refuse to rsync

Aaron Morris aaronwmorris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 17:46:32 GMT 2006

On 7/16/06, Mark, Oren <oren.mark at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We use rsync to share data between two remote sites. We are using rsync
> after configuration of the rsync.conf file.
>
> I created a module in the file with the relevant entries and permissions.
>
> The problem is that I get "connection refused ", when I try to run rsync in
> the following way:
>
> root at rsync1-mpg:/root# rsync ptsinf01.pt.intel.com::
> rsync: failed to connect to ptsinf01.pt.intel.com: Connection refused
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(93)
>
> When I use only ":" I don't have problems:
>
> root at rsync1-mpg:/root# rsync ptsinf01.pt.intel.com:
> root's password:
> drwxr-x---        1024 2006/07/16 17:40:41 .
> lrwxr-xr-x          38 2005/07/04 14:54:01 .DCOPserver_ptsinf01
>
> What could be the reason for that? I run many rsync on different servers and
> I don't see such a problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Oren Mark
> Intel - Israel Engineering Computing
> Unix Server Platforms
> oren.mark at intel.com
> (+) 972-4-865-5987
> iNET: 465-5987

The "::" syntax tells rsync to use the rsync daemon on the server
which uses port 873 by default (the server must be running the rsync
daemon, and firewalls must allow the traffic).  ":" tells rsync to use
ssh as the transport which does not require the rsync daemon.

--
Aaron W Morris (decep) <aaronwmorris at gmail.com>