Dynamic hash table size (with static has load)

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Mon Feb 27 10:09:17 GMT 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> This would be such an improvement for really large files that I'm
> considering putting this into 2.6.7pre3.  However, I want to be sure
> that it is in rock-solid shape first.  If anyone wants to help with the
> testing and/or the discussion of its acceptance into 2.6.7, please feel
> free to dig in and send us your comments on the list.  Thanks,

Inasmuch as I can follow some of the simpler optimizations, I'm at a
loss as to what is being so dramatically improved for large files.

Can you write up the little piece that you would add to the NEWS file
and describe (in layman's terms is possible) what the benefit is and
under what conditions an improvement will be observed by the user?
'Cause otherwise I wouldn't know what is it that is being tested.

Thanks.

    John