Include Exclude .. a canonical way

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Sun Feb 26 01:54:46 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 19:20 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> However It can do more than your saying there I think when symlinks
> are involved it can have unexpected results.
>
> See this thread on gmane that nobody responded too.  You'll notice I
> had an even murkier understanding then but still what was happening
> was a "really confusing directory structure":
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.rsnapshot.general/742

>From that thread:
> The whole SOURCE path is mirrored in there [...].

You have captured the effect of --relative in one sentence.  That's all
there is to it!  As far as I can tell, the symlink from /home/reader
to /anex2/reader had nothing to do with the behavior because your
rsnapshot.conf never mentioned /home/reader.

On the other hand, if /anex2/reader had been a symlink, some strange
things might have happened.  If you want the details of the interactions
between symlinks and --relative, read the new explanation of
--no-implied-dirs in the CVS rsync man page:
	http://www.samba.org/cvsweb/rsync/rsync.yo

Playing with rsync is probably the best way to figure out what it does
in different cases.  In fact, I have a directory ~/tmp dedicated to
rsync experimentation; an assortment of source and destination
directories has accumulated inside it as I have investigated various
behaviors and issues.
--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net