Include Exclude .. a canonical way

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Feb 26 01:20:14 GMT 2006

Matt McCutchen <hashproduct at verizon.net> writes:

> All --relative does is cause rsync to duplicate the source path (minus
> any leading /) inside the destination.  For example, the command
> 	cd / && rsync usr/ home/matt/ /backup/
> mixes my personal files with bin, lib, share, src, and so forth
> immediately inside the backup folder.  But
> 	cd / && rsync --relative usr/ home/matt/ /backup/
> creates /backup/usr and /backup/home/matt .

Thanks for the complicated explanation... As you've guessed I have a
pretty thin understanding of how that works.

I haven't really understood all you had to say yet and will need to go
thru it a few times and experiment with it.  I always have trouble
with visualizing things... probaby partially dyslexic or something.

However It can do more than your saying there I think when symlinks
are involved it can have unexpected results.

See this thread on gmane that nobody responded too.  You'll notice I
had an even murkier understanding then but still what was happening
was a "really confusing directory structure":

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.rsnapshot.general/742