Rsync Setup help needed...

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 23:20:59 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 14:03 -0800, Wil Morris wrote:
> 	Workin' on getting rsync setup in a test envioronment and not sure what
> needs to be done on the servers side to be able to perform the backup from
> the HPUX box.  I do have the rsync app in place on the HPUX system however
> can't connect to the servers port 22 ... have searched all over the system
> setup and just can't find where to define that port as being open and to
> what users.  Any information that you folks may have on the install/setup of
> the complete environment would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance for
> whatever information you may provide.

Are you trying to use rsync over SSH (server:foo/bar) or an rsync daemon
(server::foo/bar)?  If you're using SSH, make sure you can log into the
server from the HPUX machine with SSH.  If you're using a daemon, it
listens on port 873; try connecting to the daemon by hand using a tool
like nc and you should see "@RSYNCD: 29".  I don't know how to configure
ports to be open or to be open to certain users, but the daemon
configuration file rsyncd.conf configures the usernames and passwords of
the rsync users (distinct from Unix users) allowed to access the daemon.
--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net
http://hashproduct.metaesthetics.net/