Rsync help needed...

lsk ellsatish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 13:58:26 GMT 2006

I am back with the results..here are the options I tried on a 7.0 GB file.

=>No file on target (rm the file on the target and rsync) with "rsync -czv"
it took 1 hr.
=>File on target with but header info change on source  with "rsync -czv" it
took 40 min
=>File on target with but header info change on source and without
checksum,with --no-whole-file "rsync -zv --no-whole-file" it took 25 min

I couldn't try the inplace option since the target server has older version
of rsync we need to update that and then try that.

But from the results,I have few questions...

1) does RSYNC does checksum by default ? If we do --checksum with option
"rysnc -czv" is it a overhead that takes more time ? If I omit "-c" checksum
option how reliable is that the file on the destination and source are same.

2) And Matt could explain little more on what do you mean by "atomicity"

3) We need to RSYNC a 5 TB worth of datafiles and the create a target
database by replicating the source so I need the best option to RSYNC only
the changes instead of the whole 5 TB database.

Thanks,
lsk