fuzzy match was Re: How to use multiple link-dest directories?

Daniel Laffien d.laffien at ping.de
Fri Feb 24 09:52:34 GMT 2006

> (And while I'm in the mood, it would be nice for the man page to
> clarify exactly what "fuzzy match" matches, and what it costs. My
> guess is that the important case it matches is a file that is
> renamed, that it operates through the construction of a hash table
> based on file-size/mod-date per directory, that the table is created
> on entry to a directory and destroyed when we move on to the next
> directory, and that assuming you have the RAM and CPU (ie you are
> throttled by your disks and/or network) it costs pretty much nothing,
> certainly no extra stat's or anything like that. But it would be nice
> to have documentation that made it clear if these are all the case.)
>
> Thanks,
> Maynard

Hi there,

well my needs for fuzzy-match are a bit differing. My users are
moving files from one dir to another, mainly without renaming.
These files are about 1-5MB with a slow line, mostly a night is
to short to copy the the files again to the destination.

Can I use something like recursive-fuzzy-match or how about compare-dest?
I do not know how compare-dest exactly works, does it compare recursively?

Kann compare-dest than be the same as the rsync-destination?
Ment to scan teh whole destination tree for mathicn each source file?
Of course delete-after will be user.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, I'll try it!

Thanks in advance,
Daniel