rsync craps out, transferring large amounts of data

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Feb 24 07:28:12 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 07:32:43AM -0600, Jeff Gipson wrote:
> on the remote (sending) host, I ran the system using strace according
> to the instructions and got the following for the last few items:

Very helpful.  It shows that the remote rsync is also seeing the socket
close, so something is happening in between the rsyncs to close the
connection.  Since the closure appears to have happened after exactly 5
minutes of dead time for one of the sides, perhaps you have configured
ssh to close the connection if it is idle for 5 minutes?  If so, you can
configure ssh to use keep-alive packets (if you're using ssh protocol 2,
which you should be).  Another potential way to keep the connection
alive (if something in between is timing out when inactive) would be to
use a very modern rsync version and a --timeout option in the range of
5-8 minutes (which should cause rsync to send a keep alive packet of its
own at if around 1/2 the timeout period has elapsed).