Rsyncd log file permission

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Feb 24 07:17:44 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:13:32AM -0800, Jonathan Chen -X wrote:
> Hi I am wondering if there is any way to change the file permission of
> "rsync.log" and "rsyncd.lock" via rsyncd.conf.

No, but you can preset the permissions to anything you like.  After all,
rsync will just append lines to an existing file.  So, if you need a log
file that can be appended by multiple people, make it group-writable by
both users.

That said, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is necessary.  If you
aren't leaving the daemon running, why doesn't each user just use a
customized rsyncd.conf file to start the daemon?