Rsync help needed...

lsk ellsatish at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:43:45 GMT 2006

Gian,

"What do you mean by "cleanup the datafiles on the target server"?  Are
you editing files on the target server? "

lsk: That means I delete/rm the files from the target and then start rsync.

"If the target is not 100% different from the source, yes, keep it!
Rsync will upload the differences of the two.  If 99% of the file is the
same, you just saved 99% of your transfer time. :)
See timestamps and checksum in the manual to see what option you need to
use in your schema.  Checksum may take some time with 3/4 TB of data :-/"

lsk: This is oracle database the header information(timestamp..etc) on each
datafile constantly changes which might be very small change but the data
inside most of the datafiles are same they wont change much. New oracle
datafiles will be added on the  source which needs to be transferred. So
what we do is every 2 weeks to refresh target server  we remove all
datafiles on target and rsync all datafiles again from source. My question
is if we leave the older datafiles and rsync will it be faster ?

Currently I use "rsync -czv" c for checksum.

Thanks,
lsk.