Illustration showing the rsync SRC and DEST args

David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Tue Feb 21 21:49:09 GMT 2006

First of all, thanks for all the comments.

And sorry for taking so long to respond. I had to strategically "forget"
a short time about the illustration and in interim two months have passed.
My inner clock must be going wrong.

Anyway, here is a revised edition. I have decided to keep the original
more or less as it was (with better rendering though - thanks to a passage
through Le Photoshop). The problem with the terminating '/' has been moved
out of the comment line into a second diagram. It is complicated enough
to warrant this I guess.

Finally, to overdose on diagrams, I have added one about setting up rsync
over SSH. IMHO the rsync-over-SSH does not belong into the src/dest argument
matrix. Tunnelling is an orthogonal (though important) problem and SSH
is just one of the ways of doing it (another would be to set up stunnel
and pass the rsync daemon protocol over that).

Enough talk, here are the images. Flame on:

MS Visio 2000:

http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_1.vsd
http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_2.vsd
http://rei1.m-plify.net/rsync/Rsync_Cheatsheet_3.vsd