rsync through a server storing the changes, time delayed rsync

Torbjörn Nordling tn at s3.kth.se
Tue Feb 21 15:48:37 GMT 2006

Problem:
I have two computers (one at work and one home) and I want to keep them
identical, but I cannot rsync them directly because when one is running
then the second is turned off. I also have access to 500 MB of storage
space on a server running continuously, which is not nearly enough to
hold all data stored on the two computers. So my idea is to use the
server for storing an rsync file list with checksums from the last
update and then upload the data that has changed to the server.

Scenario:
Last thing I do at work is update the file list on the server and upload
all data the rsync identify as changed. Then at home I would connect to
the server and download the changed data, which is integrated by rsync
in correct files. Before I turn off my home computer then I would again
rsync the changes to the server. This would make the rsync delayed in time.

Question:
Has anyone tried something similar and could direct me towards how to
make it work? Or is this impossible today, but something that quite
simply could be built into rsync? Based on what I have read about how
rsync works it seems feasible to me.

Thanks,
Tor