a few basic questions

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 16 00:12:26 GMT 2006

Hi folks.  Running rsync on Slackware.  I'm going over the man pages yet
some aspects remain murky.  Hopefully someone can set me straight.

1. The --rsh option,

The man page explains that you can invoke a single-transfer daemon if you
want some features that a daemon provides:

$ rsync -av --rsh=ssh host::module /dest

The it says that you need to slap on an ssh user if the daemon/module user
is different from the remote shell user:

$ rsync -av -e "ssh -l ssh-user" rsync-user at host::module /dest

Ok, but what happened to the --rsh stuff?

I can use this second form with or without --rsh and I don't perceive any
difference.

2. Encryption,

Are transfers always encrypted or is encryption activated with a specific
incantation?

Thanks for any input.

--
Peter