sync 54 million files, tuning rsync?

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 12:13:53 GMT 2006

I think rsync over two nfs mounted volumes is an ongoing 'problem',
partly (mainly?) because people forget that these are 'local' files and
lots of the neato rsync speedups don't do anything or just get ignored.
If there is no way for you to run a separate rsync on local and remote
machines, your file transfer might be better accomplished with some
other method according to the old thread mentioned below

I am sure there are other technical issues as well ...  this has been
discussed before, see this thread for example.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2002-October/003970.html

Disclaimer, I am  another user not a developer, if any developers know
about newer information I am sure they will correct me.