Rsync 2.6.7pre1 is now available

Mike Daws mike at pienetworks.com
Fri Feb 10 03:28:04 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 14:49 -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Jamie Lokier on 2006/02/09 at 18:55 +0000]
>
> >I think the hyphen is out of place; it looks very wrong to my eye, but
> >I'm not a grammarian so don't have a fine explanation.
>
> You're quite right ... "read in" should be two separate words as there should
> not be a hyphen between a verb and a preposition.

In this case, "read in" would be a phrasal verb. It carries an idiomatic
meaning; the word "in" loses its prepositional function. Much as with
"[tidy up] my room", "[read up on] the subject", "[finish off] my
coffee".
As noted, it is often acceptable to omit the preposition. The construct
does not warrant a hyphen.

</2 cents>