does rsync support acl and xattr?

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Thu Feb 9 22:51:48 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 21:30 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Does rsync support acl and xattr (as with acl and user_xattr mount options)?
>
> I saw some acl patches for rsync, so probably it's not officially
> blessed yet.
>
> However, I didn't see any xattr patches - although some talks about it
> on the list go back into year 2003.

rsync includes ACL and xattr patches that you can apply if you wish;
then you use -A, --acls and/or -X, --xattrs to preserve ACLs and/or
xattrs during a transfer.  I've been using an ACL-patched rsync to
backup my system for a while now, and it correctly transfers my POSIX
ACLs; I don't use xattrs.
--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net