Rsync 2.6.7pre1 is now available

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 10:07:16 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:10:30AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> >The itemized output now uses 'S' for a special file instead of
> >clumping them together with the 'D' for devices.
>
> Is this a Windows thing?

Nope.  On Posix systems, you need root privileges to create devices
(character or block) but not to create other special files (such as
fifos and named sockets), so rsync now lets users request the copying
of non-device special files via --specials, and itemizes devices and
specials separately.  I'll improve the NEWS text to make this clearer.

> I thought -h was the short option for --help.

You can still use "rsync -h" to ask for help, just like before (as the
manpage mentions).