RSYNC via pipe/socket ?

roland devzero at web.de
Wed Feb 8 23:59:02 GMT 2006

Hello !

I`m trying to find a way to use lzo compression for the data being transferred by rsync.

rsync only supports gzip (or maybe ssh -c, which is also zlib), which gives cpu intensive workload - and
this cannot be exchanged by a commandline param like we have with tar (--use-compress-program=....)

i like to use lzo because it does much faster compression than gzip.

I read the following in the mailinglist archive:

----------
> Is it possible to use rsync without ssh for those machines that don't
> have ssh?

If they don't have ssh, what *do* they have?  It is certainly possible
to use rsync over insecure-berkeley-rsh (sometimes called remsh) and
over kerberized rsh (v4 or v5), or basically anything with an rsh-like
syntax...  if you were really clever you could write a shell-script
wrapper that called netcat, if you had a prearranged netcat invocation
on the other end :-)

This ignores the "rsync server" mode, where rsync talks to rsyncd
directly and doesn't use an existing remote-shell channel...

so, this gives me some hope that this _could_ possible somehow.

unfortunately i don`t have a clue, how to write the mentioned wrapper script.

i think of something like this:

rsync -a  -dontConnect2RemoteHostButPipeToSTDOUT ./localdata2sync | lzop -c | netcat remothost 12345

where on remotehosts netcat listens to port 12345 and passes the data to lzop and then to rsync.....

otoh, thinking about this, i`m not sure if a pipe could work, because rsync does bidirectional communication with the "remote" end.

is something like this possible, or yet existing - or maybe someone can give some tips, how to do this ?

regards
roland