How to improve speed of a single file transfer over an unstable link?

Scott C. Kennedy sck at nogas.org
Fri Dec 29 21:02:58 GMT 2006

Thank you for the idea, I just checked and....

The cygwin version of rsync on my parent's machine is 2.6.6 and
'--append' is a 2.6.7 feature! :(

So, until cygwin updates, I came up with this idea....

1)'split' the file into 100 MB chunks on both ends.
2) rsync the two directories, thus the file date & size for MOST files
will be correct and then do an '--inplace' to continue updating.

Thoughts?

Scott
PS> the split just died since the link dropped again. :( The issue is
the cabling in my father's house is poor, thus the cable modem keeps
error-ing out and they are 3,210 miles away from me right now.