no such file or directory - but hey, the files are there!

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Dec 26 07:30:40 GMT 2006

Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On 12/25/06, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
>> Wayne Davison wrote:
>> > [...] The uDrive module looks to have a
>> > bad path setting:  you can't use drive letters with rsync, so be
>> sure to
>> > specify something like "/cygdrive/u" instead of "u:".
>> [...]
>> rsync: pop_dir "/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/u:" (in uDrive) failed: No
>> such file or directory (2)
>> rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
>> flist.c(1281) [sender=2.6.9]
>> [...]
>> [uDrive]
>>         path = u:
>
> I see what is going on here.  In order to scan under a source argument
> for files to add to the file list, the sender needs to be in the
> directory that maps to the root of the transfer.  In the first
> command, the root of the transfer is the module, and the sender is
> already there.

Wrong - in "/uDrive/backup" example, "uDrive" is a root, and "backup" is
a subdir.

> But in the second, the root of the transfer is the
> "backup" subdirectory, so the sender needs to push_dir into "backup",
> scan, and pop_dir back to the module.

In the second example, the root is still "uDrive", but we want to
transfer everything that's under "backup/fileacl" (or whatever deeper
under "backup").
Or maybe that's what you meant.
Anyway, for that module name, I can't copy any second subdirectory, when
I access it directly.

Funny is, for some other module names, sometimes, I can access a second
directory (like, "/sDrive/first/second" copies fine, where
"/uDrive/backup/fileacle" does not).
But I didn't discover a pattern (when it works, when it doesn't work) yet...

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org