no such file or directory - but hey, the files are there!

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Dec 25 13:40:47 GMT 2006

For some reason, I'm unable to transfer *sometimes*, *some* files from a
Windows server running rsyncd.

1. First, a try that succeeds - I want to copy "backup" directory, which
is in "share":

$ rsync  --partial --dry-run -a -v --progress
rsync://user@server/share/backup /tmp
Password:
receiving file list ...
30 files to consider
backup/
backup/acls-c.bat.txt
backup/acls-e.bat.txt
backup/acls-f.bat.txt
backup/acls-g.bat.txt
backup/run-backup.bat
backup/fileacl/
backup/fileacl/fileacl.exe
backup/fileacl/run-fileacl.bat
backup/shadow/
backup/shadow/CreateShadow.cmd
backup/shadow/RMTSHARE.EXE
backup/shadow/makeshadow.cmd
backup/shadow/vshadow.exe

2. But I don't need to copy the whole "/share/backup", all I really want
to transfer is "/share/backup/fileacl" - we change the rsync command
line accordingly:

$ rsync  --partial --dry-run -a -v --progress
rsync://1wrckUrpGaMn@192.168.100.71/uDrive/backup/fileacl /tmp
Password:
receiving file list ...
rsync: pop_dir "/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/u:" (in uDrive) failed: No
such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
flist.c(1285) [sender=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (86 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453)
[receiver=2.6.9]

The second try fails, why? The directory I tried to copy in the second
try was copied just fine in the first try.

I don't see any obvious problem here.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org