Rsync errors

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:26:55 GMT 2006

On 12/13/06, ilushkin <ilya at edpausa.com> wrote:
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes [generator]:
> Operation not permitted (1)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(1124) [generator=2.6.8]
> rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1095) [receiver=2.6.8]

This output seems to indicate that a write system call issued by the
generator failed with EPERM (Operation not permitted).  I don't think
write ever fails with EPERM on Linux or BSD.  What operating system
are you using?

I would recommend stracing the client to see exactly what system call
is failing.  (Run sudo strace -o rsync.log -f rsync (arguments...), or
use the strace equivalent for your operating system.)  Also try
running rsync at a higher verbosity level (-vv or -vvv) to get more
information.

Matt