May I merge several increment backups to one?

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 03:05:57 GMT 2006

On 12/5/06, woo robbin <robbinwooo at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I merge the two increment backups into one directory,say
> /backupdir/increment ?

In an "incremental backup", files matched in the previous backup are
omitted altogether, right?  So then all you need to do is copy all the
files from /backupdir/back2 and /backupdir/back1 into one directory,
where files from /backupdir/back1 override those from
/backupdir/back2.  This is easy to do with rsync (or with cp, for that
matter):

rsync -a /backupdir/back2 /backupdir/increment
rsync -a /backupdir/back1 /backupdir/increment

Does this answer your question, or have I misunderstood it?

Matt