protecting files from deletion, and using --delete-excluded

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 23:32:57 GMT 2006

On 8/31/06, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> No, it's just an incomplete fix.  In order to be compatible with older
> rsync versions, we must continue to completely eliminate the .cvsignore
> file when --delete-excluded is used (or else we'd get spurious errors
> about the filter rules being too modern when they aren't really).

I assume you mean receiving rsync versions too old to understand -C and :C?

Good point.  I keep forgetting that rsync 2.6.9 has to Do The Best
Correct Thing when talking to the zillion older versions of rsync that
people are for some reason still using.  That requirement makes
everything several times more complicated, because the current version
of rsync needs to know the best way to produce a desired behavior in
each older version of rsync that could be on the other side.  It seems
to me that rsync is much harder hit by version compatibility issues
than most software packages.

Matt