rsync HFS+ -> UFS2

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Aug 20 22:41:27 GMT 2006

Hi,
This is my first post to this list.

I have been backing up some files with rsync from My Mac OS X 10.4.7
machine, which uses HFS+ filesystem to a FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE machine,
which uses UFS2 filesystem.  They go across a 100-base-T lan, which
has little or no traffic on it.
On my Mac, I mount the nfs exported volume on the FreeBSD machine with:
$ mount -t nfs moe:/backup /Users/Charles/mnt

I recently had to restore these files, and not all of them survived
the trip.
I should mention that I did not use rsync to do the restore.  I
mounted the nfs share on the FreeBSD machine, and copied them over to
the Mac.

These file types are a mixed bag, text, stuffit
(.sit), .zip, .dmg, .cdr.
They range in size from a few kb to > 6GB.
The errors I received when trying open some of the restored files all
said, "codec overrun".

What would be the correct strategy for using rsync in this situation?

I'm currently trying - $ rsync -auv --stats --delete-after -E
Downloads mnt

This is the result of the above:
Number of files: 285
Number of files transferred: 221
Total file size: 11944456864 bytes
Total transferred file size: 11944456908 bytes
Literal data: 11945417393 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 8264
Total bytes sent: 11946893337
Total bytes received: 4440

sent 11946893337 bytes  received 4440 bytes  4299765.26 bytes/sec
total size is 11944456864  speedup is 1.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /
SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/main.c(717)

--
Bubba's Recipe Collection -
http://bubbabbq.homeunix.net/recipes.html