Error unexplained (code 255) AT main.c(1298)

claude angéloz claude.angeloz at bluewin.ch
Fri Aug 11 08:16:27 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I am using rsync 2.6.8 (compiled) between 2 solaris 9 systems. If I do

srv11$ rsync -av -e ssh --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync
srv10:/opt/httpd backuphttpd

Password ok , it is transferring ,than I got the messages

receiving file list .....done
sent 20 bytes received 45950 bytes 13143 bytes/s
totale size is 33936000 speed up 738.23
rsync error: unexplainded error (code 255) at main.c (1298) [generator
= 2.6.8]

Has anyone get this error message at the end  of  the session using ssl
and not during the data transfert...

It seems be working but I dont like this unexplained error.

I made this rsync on 2 machines : I got the same error.

I dont like to give the --rsync-path at the command but without I
received quickly am error message style error in protocol data stream...
I think that the path for the rsync in not known .

I would like using a ssh tunnel ( to on rsync --daemon on the srv10) but
I have the problem with the
< ssl -fN -L 88738:srv10:873 srv10 >  command (already used in this
list). But until now it does not work

It is not clear for me on which system  I must give. I think that it
should be given before the rsync command on my srv11but I am not sure .

What about the port forwarding in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Thanks in advance for your help
Regards
Claude Angeloz