Newbie: What does -e do?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Aug 6 02:52:16 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-05 19:34:39 -0700, Jeffrey Ellis <jellis at dhnet.us> wrote:
> on 8/5/06 4:51 PM, Jan-Benedict Glaw at jbglaw at lug-owl.de wrote:
> > rsync can be used in conjunction with several transport protocols. In
> > one incarnation, you can tell rsync about a command (supplied with the
> > -e command line option) that'll execute a given command (that'll be
> > supplied on the command line) on a remote host.
> >
> > The usual usage is to tell rsync to use ssh so shift all the data over
> > the internet. That way, you can strongly authenticate the remote host
> > (so that simple IP spoofing won't give an attacker all of your backup)
> > as well as encrypt all the traffic.
>
> time sudo rsync -a -v -e ssh "/Volumes/Firewire\ 600" /Volumes/Firewire\
> 250a --eahfs --showtogo --update
>
> In this, I don't understand any of the options after the two volumes, with
> the exception of --update. Can you explain what all this means?

--eahfs isn't available in my version of rsync, but Googling for it
reveals that it's an extension used on MacOS to backup "resources and
metadata" (cf. http://hardware.mcse.ms/message191839.html).

--showtogo as well isn't supported by my rsync version, but Google
tells that it's probably used to get some "remaining files to be
synchronized" estimation of some sort, cf.
http://www.goland.org/rsync/ .

> This script was generated using RsyncX. I bring that up because, hfs looks
> suspiciously like the Mac OS X File System.

:)

So either don't use the HFS+ extension (--showtogo seems to only be
eye-candy) and backup only the pure data (loosing some metadata), or
search for the patches adding the --eahfs code and recompile (or
install prepared binaries if available.)

MfG, JBG

--
       Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de                +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                   http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html