Can you explain me this behaviour please?

Klaus Löfflad klaus at der-kapitaen.de
Fri Aug 4 10:03:25 GMT 2006

Hi,

I found a behaviour of rsync I cannot explain.

1) rsync -vaS            --delete-after --include-from=/etc/rsync.inc
--exclude-from=/etc/rsync.ex / server:/
2) rsync -vaS --relative --delete-after --include-from=/etc/rsync.inc
--exclude-from=/etc/rsync.ex / server:/

I sync most of one server to another as a fallback server. I had the
relative option first (dont know anymore why), then switched to the one
without it recently. I found out that before were some dirs not synced
correctly, especially some files and dirs not on the sending server were
not deleted. The two lines above should do the same as I understand it
because I sync from server1:/ to server2:/, so it may be the same if I use
--relative or not.

Can someone explain this behaviour? That were really kind.
Thanks.

--
Klaus Löfflad
http://tshirtshop.dyndns.org